Every body is beautiful in its own way and you, if you have the apple body shape, you my dear have the most amazing legs! I’ll start with this because I always admired the women with this body type for their incredibly beautiful legs. This is one of the characteristics of your body, but knowing and understanding all of them will make you dress to look your best!
Image By LawrenceFung (101_2656) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Women with this body type tend to appear top heavy since they have little to no waist and fat tends to accumulate in the stomach area. The waist line can have the same size as the shoulders line and the hips are smaller than the shoulders and the waist.
This body type, like any other body type, can have some variations so if you have this body type you may also notice that you have:
- Great legs
- Small hips
- Average or big boobs
- Large rib cage and back
- Thin arms
You share some characteristics with two other body shapes, the undefined waist with the rectangle body shape and the top heavy with the inverted triangle, so the fashion tips for you are a combination of the tips for these two body types.
As I said, it is common for apples to have big breasts. You can read the article we wrote about what to wear if you have big breasts, especially to learn the specific necklines that will make you look incredible. However, having big breasts is not necessary a rule, so don’t be very surprised if you don’t find yourself in this position.
If you have curvy hips as well, the hourglass section of this website will come in handy as well. Stay open and try to understand your body as well as you can!
Your vertical silhouette is as important as your horizontal one when you choose your outfits!
If you have the Long Legs/ Short Torso body type, long tops will make you look very good since they will elongate your mid section, accentuating your beautiful legs.
If you have the opposite vertical silhouette aka the Short Legs/ Long torso, layering is a great trick for you. A long top + a short jacket will elongate the waist and tummy area but the jacket will create the illusion of longer legs.
How to dress the apple body shape
I bet you have the tendency to cover up the tummy area with loose clothes, thinking that you will hide the problem, but this is not the greatest idea since a large blouse will add even more volume to your problematic area. The main idea in your case is to make your waist appears thinner and to highlight your qualities (legs and/ or breasts) by creating vertical lines.
How to dress the upper part of the apple body type:
- A good fitting bra is crucial in your case. Check out this article and choose the best bra for you!
- Blouses that highlight your body in its slimmest point (right bellow your breasts) such as baby doll tops/ dresses (if the bottom is not very large), empire waist tops/ dresses
- Bias cut hem blouses/ dresses
- Wrap style blouses and dresses
- V-necklines and other low cut necklines. See the article about how to dress if you have big boobs that I mentioned above. You will find great tips for your body there.
- Long tops to cover the entire stomach area
- Blouses with details on sleeves to draw the attention from your belly to your arms
- Belts underneath your breasts to create the illusion of a waist. The dress/ top should be loose under the belt.
- Structured jackets, blazer over tops
- Details on your shoulders and around the bust area
- Tunic shirts
How to dress the lower part of the pear body shape:
- Flare and wide legged pants to create a balanced silhouette.
- Skinny jeans and pants can be worn with long tops and structured blazers/ jackets and over the knee boots, for example. The idea is to create a balanced silhouette and to avoid accentuating the contrast between your heavy top and slim legs.
- Normal to high rise to hide your tummy and to avoid creating that annoying “muffin top”.
- Right above the knee or right bellow the knee skirts. Shorter skirts will accentuate the contrast between your upper body and lower body as the skinny jeans do.
- Structured pencil and A-line skirts
- Flare skirts
- Hanky hems skirts
- Asymmetrical skirts
What not to wear:
- Big puffy jackets and blazers
- Bomber jackets
- High necklines
- Low rise jeans/ trousers
- Tight tops
- Pleats around the waist and tummy area
- Bold horizontal lines in the upper part of your body
- Embroideries, ruffles and other details around your tummy
Owner & Editor In Chief at YoYo Style
PR lover, research freak, coffee addict, fashion enthusiast and music weirdo. "Be the best version of yourself" - that's my mantra!
Latest posts by YoYo (see all)