Image via Huffington Post
After measuring yourself, you found out that you have the inverted triangle body shape. What’s next? Understanding your body and its characteristics! After learning what type of clothes look good on you, you can easily create outfits that will make you look your best. You can adopt only the trends that will make your body look amazing and avoid the ones that are not a proper fit for you.
Inverted Triangle characteristics
Your silhouette is usually seen in athletes and models. This is a good news, right?
Your body shape is sometimes named strawberry. Gotta love the fruits!
When it comes to characteristics you will notice that your shoulders are wider than your hip line. This is the main characteristic of this body type but you can share some characteristics with other body types as well.
Some women who have this body type also have great legs and not a very well defined waistline but this is not a rule. If this is your case, the Rectangle body shape guideline will be very helpful.
Your derriere can have the same size as your bust line, which usually is a characteristic of the hourglass body shape. If this is your case, it’s easier to dress your body. You need volume only on your hips and not your entire hips+derriere area. Check out the hourglass section of this website to completely understand your body.
Of course, you can also have a small derriere + small hips and the entire upper part of your body can be larger than your bottom part. If this is the case, you need to respect all the dressing rules you will find in this article.
If you have a tendency to gain weight around your waistline, the Apple body section might come in handy!
Since these guidelines are based on the horizontal silhouette only, don’t forget to check out the article about vertical body types too.
Since you have an athletic body, your vertical silhouette is usually balanced or you have the Long legs/ Short torso body type, but please measure yourself first so you can be sure.
How to dress the inverted triangle body shape
The main rule to dress this body type is to add more volume to your hips and create the illusion of smaller shoulders.
Wearing certain clothes can accentuate your wide shoulders and, unless you want to make a fashion statement, it is better to avoid adding extra volume to your problematic area but moving that volume where you need it: your hips and/ or posterior!
If you are proud of your athletic shoulders, you can show them off, of course! But please make sure that you also add some volume on your hips and thighs! If you don’t add volume on your hips but you add extra volume to your shoulders you will create a very masculine figure.
How to dress the upper part of the inverted triangle body type:
- Blouses and dresses with V necklines, scoop neck tops and dresses if they are not sleeveless
- Soft textures on the shoulder line
- Accentuate the waistline with belts, or wrap style tops
- Keep the top simple around your shoulders area
- Darker colors
- Tops and dresses with large straps or sleeves
- One shoulder off tops
- Unbuttoned shirts
- Peplum tops
- Long necklaces/ scarves
- Longer tops (if you wear bootcut/ skinny jeans or pencil skirts)
How to dress the lower part of the inverted triangle body type:
- A line skirts and dresses
- Tulip skirts and dresses
- Bold textures and bold colors
- Horizontal stripes
- Peplum skirts and dresses
- Harem pants
- Puffy pants
- Wide/ flared legged pants/ jeans
- Embellished pants/ skirts/ dresses
- Pleated skirts/ dresses
- Pockets on your hip line or derriere if you don’t have a curvaceous posterior
- Boyfriend jeans
What not to wear:
- Tops/ dresses with shoulder pads
- Large boat necks
- Horizontal lines around your shoulder areas
- Simple tapered skirts
- Tops/ dresses with details on shoulders
- Large, bold prints in the upper part of your body
- Pencil skirts or skinny jeans if you don’t wear them with something that will create more volume on your hips such as longer tops, peplum tops or if they are simple and not in bold colors or with bold prints on them.
- If you have small hips, a flat posterior and skinny thighs, it is better to avoid skinny jeans and pencil skirts in simple designs. Pockets, prints and other details you add on your hips can save the look (if you really love those skinny jeans) so get as creative as you can when it comes to dressing that area!
Check the entire Inverted Triangle section of this website to learn as much as you can about your body shape!
Owner & Editor In Chief at YoYo Style
PR lover, research freak, coffee addict, fashion enthusiast and music weirdo. "Be the best version of yourself" - that's my mantra!
Latest posts by YoYo (see all)